Sunday, August 31, 2014

Let's get sewing! :0)

Here we are at the beginning of a new month, so what better time to start the new sew-along, right? OK...technically it's still August 31 here, but I work tomorrow so I'm posting this tonight. If you missed the link to the Charming Stars pattern, you can find it HERE, and if you want to sew along on this, just let me know and I'll add you to the list on my sidebar. Also, feel free to grab the button on my sidebar to add to your blog if you want to.

I made time today for some sewing, and now I have four blocks made. They really don't take that long to make, so let's make that the goal for September...to make four blocks. If you want to make more or less than four blocks, that's fine too. It's all up to you. The pattern shows the blocks laid out with sashing and cornerstones, but I just might sew mine up like I have them laid out...without the sashing and cornerstones. I kind of like how the blocks look this way.


And here are the eight bonus pinwheel blocks I made from the leftover triangles. Originally I had planned to make a separate quilt with these when I was done, but this afternoon I came up with a great idea...



...why not use the pinwheels as a border? I'm thinking of adding a plain border of my star material, and then the pinwheels border, followed by another plain border. What a great way to use up those pinwheels! Of course I may change my mind again before this one is finished, but for now I like it! :0)


I'll be adding a Linky thing to my sidebar so you can add your name to it once you have your blocks made. Remember to add the link to your post showing your blocks...not just to your blog. And thanks so much for sewing along! :0)

27 comments:

  1. The blocks look great and the pinwheels will make a great border too. You come up with some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good already!! I have my fabrics ready and probably will set this up as a leader/ender project thru the months. Love the little pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great and I love your pinwheel idea , that looks fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! now to decide what fabs to use :) Thanks for running this sew along Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your block & your pinwheels. Waiting on my fabric to arrive to start. Hopefully this week. :) Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...love your idea for the pinwheel border! And I really love the fabrics you chose! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blocks Terry, and love your idea with the pinwheels, too. Still trying to decide on my fabric/colour etc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your idea of using the pinwheels for the border and the fabrics you have chosen. I have wanted to make this quilt for a long time. It is so tempting to join, but with other things tugging at me, maybe I will just have to do a mini one by combing a few of the blocks. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fabrics in your blocks and what a fab idea for the border AND it is made as we sew along . YEH!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The the blocks look great. I love the pinwheels for the border.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great blocks...... I love the idea of sewing the little bits on the sides at the same time... and I love the idea of little pin wheels on the side....
    I have my fabrics cut and will sew one of these fine days.... I think 4 blocks in the month is very workable...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Terry, you are making it awfully hard not to join in, posting those blocks in such beautiful colors--and then adding that fun pinwheel border. My resistance has weakened, I can tell, but I am still trying to hold on to my resolve not to start a new large quilt this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will be stunning with the pinwheel border

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so lovely Terry. The pinwheel border looks great. Is it to late to join? Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking good, Terry! Love your border idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, I wish I was doing this one - I love it, Terry!!! And the pinwheel blocks make a brilliant border. How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Terry - I have only just come to your blog, following here from another. I'd love to join in this quilt making, but I already have so much on my table I really must not, unfortunately.
    I hope that I will be able to join in another QAL in the future if you do another one...
    Your blocks look lovely, great progress

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is going to be fun to follow. Unfortunately, I won't be joining you on this one.

    I love that you are getting bonus pinwheels out of the blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so clever with that border!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful blocks, Terry. Pinwheel border! Brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors you used and I agree, they look good without the sashing and cornerstones.

    I think I'm going to try to do this. I should be able to do 4 blocks in a month.

    Hmmm,what fabrics to use,that is the question.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know I am rather late in the day but please can I join?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, funny that the band is bigger than the stage, is the county growing??

    That tractor is SCARY!!

    Flowers are BEAUTIFUL! We have a very short growing season, and black flies from Mothers Day thru first frost they make being outside no fun at all.

    LOVE the way you used the little blocks on the border.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found a yard and a half of a pastel stripe type fabric that I plan on using for the border.
    With that in mind I've been going through my stash looking for lighter colors for the stars.
    I also have light blue for the binding and a darker blue for the backing.
    I found enough of Ivory for the stars.
    Just finishing up going through fabrics to get started on cutting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment for me! If you don't have a blog or are a 'no-reply' blogger please leave your email address with your comment so I can reply to you. Enjoy your day! :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...